Sunday, September 7, 2008

IPhone - A miscalculated marketing campaign

5 reasons (oh, there are so many many more) as to why the IPhone is a miscalculated marketing campaign in India. To start with, I don't own one, would love to, but am not going to, because its priced ridiculously.

1. An unlocked IPhone in the US after penalties and a 30 day plan works out to $200 + $100 + $172 ~= $500 x Rs. 45/$ = Rs. 22,500 for a 8GB IPhone.
2. At Rs. 31,000 its still locked to Airtel and Vodafone, oh pray tell me why?
3. If AT&T can give me an unlocked IPhone at Rs, 22,500, I wonder what prevents our friends at Airtel and Vodafone? Perhaps they should render unto Cesar... :-)
4. No 3G in India for another 1.5 to 2 years.
5. The IPod Touch costs ~ Rs. 17,000

Either Apple thinks Indians are very rich or it must be something I drank last night. This is logic defying for what is arguably the fastest growing mobile phone market in the world. (Okay I stretched that a bit, its China I'm sure) Apple could have had a lot more sales than Airtel and Vodafone are now witnessing. Look around and tell me how many IPhones you see at the company you work at. Meanwhile, I'll just wait a couple of years.

No comments: